Friday, June 10, 2011

Here They Are: ATS, GTC and GW for 2012

The next issue of Automobile is on the newsstands now, so I can now post the three renderings I did for their June edition. My take on the new-for-2012, entry-level, rear-wheel drive Cadillac ATS sport sedan. I was given some spy shots to work from, so I'm fairly confident the "bones" of this car are very close to what GM will be introducing next year. It seems to be a bit "rounder" than the all-angles CTS. Perhaps GM is softening Cadillac's Art and Science design language just a bit. All three images enlarge nicely.

This is the next generation Bentley Continental GTC, or cabriolet. I used the brand new GT coupe as the base, and fashioned an interior, top boot and trunklid similar to the current GTC for continuity. I kept the original press photo's cool background for this rendering.

My Jeep Grand Wagoneer, a slightly larger 3-row version of the new Grand Cherokee. I was told that this larger Jeep would be competing with the Cadillac Escalade so I made it a bit bolder and "blingier" than the Cherokee. I lengthened the rear doors as well as the rear overhang, for a luxurious look and ride for 7 passengers. The chrome, cursive "Grnad Wagoneer" nameplate on the front door is the same as used on the classic Wagoneers of the '80s and early '90s.  

For the ATS and Jeep renderings, I was asked to keep the background plain, for the best layout possibilities, and I also furnished them with "clipping paths" which is the way the background can be totally dropped out for cleaner layouts.

This was a really fun project—fast and furious, really, lol. I had about 2-3 days for each photoshopped rendering. I work best with hard and fast deadlines though, so it was all good, and, once again, I thank Eric Tingwall, Automobile's Associate Editor, for this opportunity

2 comments:

  1. Although I saw these in the magazine, I'm glad to have them in enlargeable form. The Bentley GTC is my dream car. It looks great, comes in a wide variety of colors nad has a 12 cylinder engine, although I think Bentley is making an 8 cylinder version very soon, which would be fine.

    I love what you did with the Grand Wagoneer. I hope they do upgrade it so it is real competition for the Escalade. I remember fondly the old Wagoneers (63-91). They were way ahead of their time and I don't think the early ones, with OHC engines, four-wheel drive, automatic transmission and independent front suspension get nearly the recognition they deserve. They were truly revolutionary. They are one thing that Kaiser got right.

    I hope the ATS (dumb name) will put the memories of the Cimarron to bed once and for all. I'm really tired of the implication in a lot of the motoring press that the Cimarron was totally responsible to Cadillac's downfall. If they really do the ATS right, and include several body styles, as has been rumored, I think they will have a hit.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete