Wednesday, August 24, 2011

LIncoln Zephyr Coupe

Not a new chop, but I haven't posted it at my car site before. This is a 2-door version of the current Lincoln MKZ, although I've changed the name back to Zephyr. I really would like this current era of alpha-numeric model names to end. Please bring back evocative, romantic, even whimsical names for our personal transportation devices. Zephyr is a million times better name than MKZ... right?

Besides the obvious door change, I've made the coupe more of a fastback and added chrome/argent rocker panel trim. The majority of contemporary cars have body-colored side panels from roof to ground, lending them a very thick look. This thick look, in my opinion, is an effort to make them look more like cocoons, or tanks, to purvey a feeling of safety. I prefer a leaner side treatment, more like the cars of my youth, the Sixties and Seventies. This lower body, full-length treatment accomplishes my goal. It also makes this relatively compact automobile look longer and lower.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you C. They might do this with Jaguar and remove all the name labels in place of alpha-numeric which blows its historical significance or identity.

    Your chop looks really cool, always like big 2 door cars for some reason.
    Lincoln stopped with the LSC some 10 years ago if memory serves me correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Woody. Sometimes when I look at a chop I did a while ago, I wonder how I did it. Isn't that odd? They tend to become "real" cars in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I likes it! I wholeheartedly agree that real names should make a comeback. Maybe they can incorporate that as they rebuild the brand. This coupe would be a great compliment to the lineup. Even a hybrid version would be a niche not yet explored. Convertible too? Yes, yes yes. Lets force Mulally to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Casey,

    I like how you worked that right angle into the c-piller window.Like the Mk VII and VIII. A nice touch of tradition!
    A very handsome coupe.


    Andy
    Malibu

    ReplyDelete