Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Blasts from the Past: Early Chops

Chopped in the "early days" when I was posting my work at Autoweek's Combustion Chamber forum, 2005, this large hybrid Buick would have revived their classic "Electra" nameplate. And, really, wouldn't that be an awesome name for a plug-in electric car? Electronic "aero-spats," or fender skirts, could tilt open a few inches in the front to assist in brake cooling, tilt open in the back for braking assistance creating more drag, or remain closed for maximum aerodynamics. They would also be powered "out and up" for tire changing.

My Caducatillac, a high-end Cadillac "pickup truck" with a bespoke custom Ducati motorcycle "holder" in the back. Pushing a button would open the rear tailgate and set in motion a conveyor belt of sorts to "park" or "retrieve" the motorcycle and lock it in place. This is based on the early 2000's Caddy concept car, the Imaj, and was chopped in 2006 or so.

Another Buick, this time a large, rear wheel drive Lucerne 225 luxury sedan. Evoking the vaunted Electra 225 nameplate, this would be a petrol- and diesel-powered formal sedan. A modern take on GM's formal roofed late '70s and early '80s sedans, this sedan would have all the bells and whistles in a more subtle styling package than contemporary Cadillacs.
 
Mercedes is about to introduce a compact-sized 4-door "coupe" to its lineup, based on the corporation's newest A Class. In 2006-07, I created this tiny sport sedan from a C Class. I bet they end up looking fairly similar. I shortened the C Class sedan's hood and wheel-to-dash proportions to simulate a front-wheel drive platform.
 
Chopped back in 2008, with this Scion xB Cabriolet, I just wanted to see if I could inject some fun, and better proportions to the second generation box. Could be a Mini Cab competitor at a lower price point.

5 comments:

  1. Great to see the older chops and how your style has developed over time. Thanks for letting us see your past.

    BobF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casey,

    I remember these Buicks from that clusterf**k that was the AW Combustion Chamber. Also, I think that the Scion droptop would have been a great idea to mitigate some of the disappointment witht he second generation xB. I know that some aftermarket companies converted the first generation xB but they all included a roll hoop that spoined the lines, just as it did with the PT Cruiser, although I must say that the once I got upgraded to a PT Cruiser convertible in San Francisco, I really enjoyed -- when you're driving you don't even notice the hoop!

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Electra should come back and why not borrow the brand new Impala's chassis to do the trick?

    ReplyDelete